We, Advocates for Autism (AFA), aim to make a difference in the lives of local children by promoting an awareness and understanding of autism.
As a dynamic voluntary group we focus on the areas of Health and Education which we believe are the vital links to improvement and positive outcomes for children with ASD. We focus on what our children can achieve and not on their disability.
THINK ABILITY NOT DISABILITY
We want our children to be active members of our community, form real friendships, grow in confidence, be independent and be the best they can be.
What AFA provides members:
- a parent support network where families can share their experiences and knowledge of autism
- information on health, nutrition and exercise
- therapeutic horse riding.
- access to fundraising activities to support child-centred learning programmes
- respite and social activities with a view to community integration
- financial support for specialist educational resources such as reading programmes for Autism units and Special Schools
- a platform to work closely with the HSE, DES and other Service Providers
- and much, much more
Our membership fee is €30 per family and is payable when joining and then every June from the following year. Download our membership form and bring it along to our next meeting on the last Thursday of every month at 9 p.m. in the Loch Garman Arms Hotel in Gorey.